In England we mark this day with bonfires and fireworks, although as the years have gone by it is less and less observed. The reason we are called to remember the 5th November is that on this day in 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament, London with several dozen barrels of gunpowder. Guy Fawkes was subsequently tried as a traitor with his co-conspirators for plotting against the government . Which is the reason why a 'Guy' is made by stuffing newspaper into some old clothes to look like a man and then it is put on the top of the bonfire. Remember, remember, the 5th of November The Gunpowder Treason and plot; I see of no reason why Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot. So if you have stopped reading this blog by now you will not have realised that I am holding a 'giveaway' to mark this my 300th blog post, a day to remember for me and possibly you! This is what you will win when you comment giving one thing that you will remember...
Oh my goodness! You have 3 large doilies in the making? How do you find time to shower or eat?
ReplyDeleteThey are each beautiful. If it were mine, I think I would put a solid fabric under the first one so that the pattern and colors would show better. You've done such a great job that you really should show it off.
Thanks Stringy Dogs - Must admit I am struggling to get things done at the moment with this doily obsession!! Brilliant idea about the backing, I have located just the right material only it is my bed linen!!!
ReplyDeleteI WISH you would STOP making doilies!!!! I'm almost tempted to start one but I know I'd not get it finished if I did!!!!
ReplyDeleteActually so do I Jane as I have some very lonely beads calling me to use them!
DeleteThose are awesome! How do you poor hands feel?
ReplyDeleteThey are fine thanks Victats, but my eyes have been sore working late at night!
DeleteAll looking very tasty! Love that you are pushing Jane closer to the doily edge! Just a bit more of a little tatted nudge...
ReplyDeleteFox : ))
Three!!! Wow!! I am having trouble just trying to get caught up with one :) They are all lovely!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed with these large doilies! Wonderful colors, and certainly a study in perseverance, which Renulek's doilies are known for. I've often wondered if I would have the patience to do one. I think the first one is the perfect size, and it looks nicely finished and balanced as a design. I also wonder how you're finding the time!
ReplyDeleteTHREE of them?? - and all beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWOW! Three of them! All are beautiful. I don't think I would put a backing on the first one because the handmade tabletop is too beautiful and special to completely cover up. I'm am amazed at three. I'm still trying to get the first one started.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely comments although rather undeserving because I now class myself as quite mad attempting three of these doillies at once, especially as they seem to have taken over my life!
ReplyDeleteI know about doilies taking over one's life and I'm only working on one! Three is simply amazing. And they all look wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThree at one time... that's amazing! I love your color choices.
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't believe you keep up with tatting three at the same time! I need to get my skates on - I'm barely managing with tatting one!
ReplyDeleteOh my, Sally! You are working on THREE doilies?! The first two are brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing the third when it's done. Get a life! LOL
ReplyDeleteI can only echo what all the others have said : Three doilies at one go !!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the colorway in each of these !
Based on my own experience, I must say that using a single color of each round does ease things a bit - no SLTs, etc. I've learnt my lesson in this respect ;-))
Great work ! Hope to see the next progress pics.