In England we mark this day with bonfires and fireworks, although as the years have gone by it is less and less observed. The reason we are called to remember the 5th November is that on this day in 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament, London with several dozen barrels of gunpowder. Guy Fawkes was subsequently tried as a traitor with his co-conspirators for plotting against the government . Which is the reason why a 'Guy' is made by stuffing newspaper into some old clothes to look like a man and then it is put on the top of the bonfire. Remember, remember, the 5th of November The Gunpowder Treason and plot; I see of no reason why Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot. So if you have stopped reading this blog by now you will not have realised that I am holding a 'giveaway' to mark this my 300th blog post, a day to remember for me and possibly you! This is what you will win when you comment giving one thing that you will remember...
What beautiful cards! The recipients will enjoy them, for sure.
ReplyDeleteStephanieW
Thanks Stephanie they can even take the snowflakes off and use them as I have attached them with a glue dot
DeleteOh, they're really lovely! Only three on my Christmas card list get tatted decorations. Each year I am full of good intentions to have them ready by the end of November. Hasn't happened yet!
ReplyDeleteThanks Maureen. Yes it is those good intentions! Unfortunately I have recipients who look forward to the tatting and try not to disappoint
DeleteI love your cards! It's difficult to get done all we would like to do at this time of year, but it sure is fun to try!
ReplyDeleteActually Diana I thinking of tatting next years snowflakes over Christmas, then puting them away so they will be ready months ahead. But will I actually do that?
DeleteIf all else fails, write a 2-4 paragraph note to all. Print many copies,sign,insert, lick and stick! The cards are beautiful and are communication from the heart.
ReplyDeleteLindaR
Linda sadly last posting day was yesterday but I managed to get these beauties off in time. That is such a lovely expression 'communication from the heart' so the recipients don't need any words!
DeleteHi Sally, you've made your Christmas cards very personal. I especially love the green tatting.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and yours "A Happy Christmas and Peaceful New Year" with plenty of tatting!
I like the cards a lot. They are beautiful. I'm blaming my lack of Christmas preparedness on so little time after Advent 4. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
ReplyDelete