In England we mark this day with bonfires and fireworks, although as the years have gone by it is less and less observed. The reason we are called to remember the 5th November is that on this day in 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament, London with several dozen barrels of gunpowder. Guy Fawkes was subsequently tried as a traitor with his co-conspirators for plotting against the government . Which is the reason why a 'Guy' is made by stuffing newspaper into some old clothes to look like a man and then it is put on the top of the bonfire. Remember, remember, the 5th of November The Gunpowder Treason and plot; I see of no reason why Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot. So if you have stopped reading this blog by now you will not have realised that I am holding a 'giveaway' to mark this my 300th blog post, a day to remember for me and possibly you! This is what you will win when you comment giving one thing that you will remember...
Jack is looking for rhubarb for his garden, perhaps one day I’ll have to ask you for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteI have had this rhubarb patch for about 30 years and mainly give it away to my son who amongst other things makes rhubarb liquor. However, now I have made rhubarb and ginger jam not sure he will get much from the crop in future!
ReplyDeleteYour ruhubarb and ginger jam sounds delicious, it reminds me of when I used to make a rhubarb and ginger cheesecake - yummy!
ReplyDeleteAnne it is lovely tasting jam. I have now made another batch! It is quite versatile and I am already using it a lot in my cooking to give flavour to dishes.
DeleteI love rhubarb pie. Some folks put strawberries in it, but I don't. I make it like a cobbler. I have also been known to just boil rhubarb in a pot and eat it like that.
ReplyDelete